One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘She was as pretty as a picture - not beautiful, not stark raving mad like me, just pretty.’
- ‘‘She looks pretty as a picture, I think,’ my mother said genuinely and definitively.’
- ‘He doesn't put Austen on a pedestal and he doesn't make a film that is pretty as a picture but lacking in any sense of vitality.’
- ‘I walked over to him, pretty as a picture, meek as a mouse.’
- ‘I'll bet if we saw the technical crew, or even the people at the craft services table, they'd also be pretty as a picture.’
- ‘It was all as pretty as a picture and just a little too good to be true.’
- ‘She looked pretty as a picture herself out here in the sunshine - a ravishing rose amongst a garden of gorgeous roses.’
- ‘The world really is as pretty as a picture for the professor, who has recreated the great photographic journeys of the Victorian Age.’
- ‘She was a little bit on the cuddly side, but pretty as a picture.’
- ‘The resulting spring tabletop is as pretty as a picture.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.