One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of compounds which are derived from sugars by oxidizing a —CH₂OH group to an acid group (—COOH).
- ‘Since cell walls contain high concentrations of uronic acids, cations are accumulated within cell walls while mobile anions are excluded.’
- ‘Because differences in tolerance might relate to differences in detoxification, we also measured the excretion of uronic acids (principally glucuronic acid), the most important conjugation metabolites in mammals.’
- ‘Readily soluble in water, these polysaccharides contain various sugar moieties, uronic acid, and less than five-percent protein by weight.’
- ‘Ascorbic acid is more commonly known as vitamin C. Ascorbic acid is derived from glucose via the uronic acid pathway.’
- ‘To account for one of the most important modes of detoxification in mammals, we measured uronic acid conjugates (principally glucuronic acid) in urine of woodrats from both populations.’
1920s: uronic from uro- ‘urine’ + -ic, with the insertion of -n-.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.