Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme produced in the kidneys which promotes the conversion of plasminogen to plasmin and can be used to dissolve blood clots.
- ‘Research being conducted in the space shuttle is seeking to grow urokinase crystals in space for subsequent X-ray analysis in Earth-based laboratories.’
- ‘The systematic review included information on three different thrombolytic agents: streptokinase, urokinase, and recombinant tissue plasminogen activator, but direct comparison of different thrombolytic drugs was not possible.’
- ‘A four-day infusion of urokinase has been an accepted treatment, and most of the patients who receive this treatment are found to have at least a 50 percent resolution of the thrombus.’
- ‘Munster and colleagues address three important aspects of our article and set up questions concerning the accuracy of our data, especially in view of the nebulization of urokinase.’
- ‘The effective dose of urokinase, as calculated with respect to the loss of activity caused by ultrasonic nebulization, has been given in both the print version of the manuscript and the online repository.’
- ‘Tissue plasminogen activator and, to a lesser degree, urokinase are serine proteases which convert plasminogen to plasmin.’
- ‘In another similar experiment, citicoline, alone or in combination with the thrombolytic agent urokinase, was injected into rats following occlusion of the middle cerebral artery.’
- ‘It appears that streptokinase and urokinase are equally effective.’
- ‘As a result of these actions, a nationwide shortage of urokinase became apparent, and a replacement for urokinase needed to be identified.’
- ‘Five studies used streptokinase, two used urokinase, and four used tissue plasminogen activator.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.