Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A watery, typically yellowish fluid stored in the bladder and discharged through the urethra. It is one of the body's chief means of eliminating excess water and salt, and also contains nitrogen compounds such as urea and other waste substances removed from the blood by the kidneys.
bowel motion, bowel movement, stools, excrement, excreta, faeces, bodily waste, droppings, dungView synonyms
- ‘The streets are littered with pollution and the smell of stale urine lingers in the air.’
- ‘The driver is then asked to provide a sample of blood or urine for laboratory analysis.’
- ‘Make sure that the child is drinking plenty of fluids, as this will reduce the acidity of the urine.’
- ‘Any water that is left over leaves the body with the toxins, through sweat and urine.’
- ‘Catheters are thin flexible tubes which are inserted into the bladder to allow urine to be passed.’
- ‘This happens when urine held by the bladder builds up to the point where the bladder can no longer expand.’
- ‘You may also be asked to give urine and blood samples for routine laboratory testing.’
- ‘Over time your child will be able to hold more urine and recognise when they feel the urge to go, even if they are asleep.’
- ‘Doctors removed a growth from his bladder in 1991 after he began to pass blood in his urine.’
- ‘Forensic analysis of urine, blood and hair revealed no traces of doping products.’
- ‘The blood pressure drops, causing faintness, and the body may start to store urine.’
- ‘She is not eating much and passing only small amounts of urine as her kidney function is poor.’
- ‘A urine test is easily done, and can be offered concurrently with a pregnancy test.’
- ‘These increase the production of urine, and so help remove excess fluid from the body.’
- ‘Potty training is teaching your toddler to gain control of their urine and bowel movements.’
- ‘The urine is stored in your bladder, which can expand to accommodate the increasing volume.’
- ‘In addition, there may be small amounts of blood in the urine and it may be cloudy.’
- ‘The kidneys filter and process the blood and excrete the waste products as urine.’
- ‘If your test is carried out in the surgery, the blood or urine sample will be sent to a laboratory to be examined.’
- ‘Infection of the urine causes symptoms of urgency and sometimes leakage of urine.’
Middle English: via Old French from Latin urina.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.