One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discharge urine; pass water.
pass water, go to the loo, go to the toilet, go to the lavatory, relieve oneselfView synonyms
- ‘She tired easily and was embarrassed by a frequent need to urinate, caused by diuretic therapy.’
- ‘Your child is likely to learn to urinate in the potty first, as bowel movements require a little more control.’
- ‘You may also have frequent urges to urinate and wake up at night to urinate.’
- ‘X-rays are then taken as the bladder fills and while your child urinates.’
- ‘If it hurts to urinate after you have used these products, you are probably sensitive to them.’
- ‘In addition, all animals urinated and experienced intestinal transit during the experimental period.’
- ‘This type of incontinence occurs when you get a sudden urge to urinate and just can't hold it.’
- ‘There is little time between feeling the need to urinate and leakage of urine.’
- ‘It may mean that the person waits too long to urinate, or urinates too frequently, or even tries to urinate when the muscles keeping the urine in the bladder (the ‘sphincter’ muscles) are clamped down.’
- ‘By drinking extra fluids and urinating frequently, you can minimize this side effect.’
- ‘You may need to urinate more often as your baby grows, because the baby will put pressure on your bladder.’
- ‘During later pregnancy, many women find that they need to urinate even more frequently.’
- ‘The medicine colors your urine bright orange, so do not be alarmed by the color when you urinate.’
- ‘Some children start by sitting on the potty and urinating or having the bowel movement in their diaper.’
- ‘There is also a technique in which you squeeze the urethra after urinating to get any excess urine out.’
- ‘It is characterised by needing to urinate often and passing a large quantity of urine, and feeling extremely thirsty.’
- ‘‘Try restricting the amount of fluids the child drinks at night and make sure the child urinates before he or she goes to bed,’ Loening-Baucke says.’
- ‘Too much calcium in your kidneys might make you thirsty or increase your need to urinate.’
- ‘Encourage your child to relax when she urinates so no urine is left in the bladder.’
- ‘This weight is similar to what a person would weigh after urinating when they had normal kidney function.’
Late 16th century: from medieval Latin urinat- ‘urinated’, from the verb urinare.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.