One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 92, a dense grey radioactive metal used as a fuel in nuclear reactors.
- ‘It is not certain if the effects are due to the chemical or the radioactive properties of uranium.’
- ‘The heavy elements like gold or lead or uranium are very rare in the universe.’
- ‘The Curies discovered radium, a radioactive substance, in uranium oxide ore.’
- ‘Enrichment is a process of purifying uranium for use as nuclear fuel or in weapons.’
- ‘A highly radioactive solution of water, plutonium and uranium is constantly leaking out.’
- ‘The chemical toxicity of uranium is also well known, though somewhat less well understood.’
- ‘Enrichment can produce different grades of uranium that can be used for fuel or nuclear warheads.’
- ‘Workers there recently learned that they were exposed to both plutonium and uranium.’
- ‘Depleted uranium is an extremely dense substance derived from enriched uranium.’
- ‘However, uranium is a heavy metal and the safety limits are based on its toxicity as a metal.’
- ‘Radioactive uranium oxide pellets were found in a controlled area of the plant.’
- ‘All countries have uranium, uranium is a very common material around the world.’
- ‘There are large unexploited nickel deposits, and uranium, vanadium, and gold.’
- ‘He advises the villagers to drink a lot of milk because the calcium compounds with uranium.’
- ‘It is not possible, however, to construct weapons directly out of uranium or slightly enriched uranium.’
- ‘To develop a comprehensive set of nuclear weapons, enriched plutonium and uranium are needed.’
- ‘Depleted uranium is derived from natural uranium mined from the earth's crust.’
- ‘This time it was uranium and iron ore which provided the much needed employment opportunities.’
- ‘Radon is produced when trace amounts of uranium and radium in the soil or rocks decay.’
- ‘And extracting uranium and storing nuclear waste both produce carbon emissions.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from Uranus: compare with tellurium.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.