Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the planet Uranus.‘Uranian moons are traditionally given Shakespearean names’
- ‘Unlike other large Uranian moons, the surface of Umbriel has remained unchanged since the early times of the Solar System.’
- ‘The typical Uranian type is primarily different.’
- ‘The moons are orbiting even closer to the planet than the five major Uranian satellites, which are several hundred miles wide.’
- ‘Several of the Uranian moons can be seen, along with bright areas on the cloud-canopied planet itself.’
- ‘Fortunately, there is one area of Uranian science - the rings - for which the new Keck observations have been able to test existing theories, and collapse them to one successful explanation for ring behavior.’
- ‘Today we're going to visualize the sky from the Uranian moon 1986U10, whose orbit lies between that of two other moons whose orbits are themselves less than 500 kilometers apart!’
- ‘After Uranus was discovered in 1781, astronomers inferred the presence of another planet from the shape of the Uranian orbit.’
- ‘It was more than sixty years before the next two Uranian moons, Ariel and Umbriel, were discovered.’
(in science fiction) an imagined inhabitant of Uranus.
1Relating to heaven; celestial.
A homosexual.‘I suppose in his personal life he considered himself a Uranian’
Early 17th century: from Urania + -an.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.