Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Anxious or angry in a tense and overly controlled way.‘he is so uptight about everything’
anxious, disturbed, perturbed, troubled, bothered, distressed, concerned, upset, distraught, worried sick, disquieted, uneasy, ill at ease, fretful, fretting, agitated, in a state of agitation, nervous, edgy, on edge, like a cat on a hot tin roof, tense, overwrought, worked up, keyed up, strung out, jumpy, with one's stomach in knots, stressed, under stressView synonyms
- ‘Swinging liberals are just as prone to fear as uptight reactionaries; they just aren't as upfront about showing it.’
- ‘Those close to the team say the rookie quarterback is too nervous and uptight to let his abilities show.’
- ‘Yet Logan is not anywhere near as uptight as he once was.’
- ‘You are angry, uptight and feeling the physical effects of this anxiety.’
- ‘I was incredibly nervous and uptight - seeing your hero in the flesh is truly a terrifying experience.’
- ‘Psychologists say it's all part of our uptight nature.’
- ‘I know I shouldn't be getting so uptight about it but I'd really like the satisfaction of knowing that I got it right.’
- ‘These women often come across as uptight or too bothered by small details.’
- ‘Anyone less uptight about these things will love it, though.’
- ‘But the wider message was, of course, that we have a sense of humour about ourselves, we are not uptight, we are human.’
- ‘But it is difficult, in this so-called enlightened age, to understand why we remain so uptight about it.’
- ‘Okay, so she was sort of uptight and standoffish, but I didn't think much about it.’
- ‘He breathed in and out slowly, hating that he was so uptight and edgy.’
- ‘He's a tax lawyer and he's recently divorced and obviously uptight.’
- ‘No longer suppressed and uptight, we are happy to confess all to a stranger, often spending thousands of pounds in the process.’
- ‘My real dad was mad at me and my mom one day because he couldn't understand why we made fun of him when he got so angry and uptight.’
- ‘And while some of us get uptight about smoking, we take a relaxed view of drinking.’
- ‘It lurked in air like a poisonous cloud, making everyone feel uneasy and uptight.’
- ‘That is one of the reasons why the wealth creators of New Zealand are so upset and uptight with the Government.’
- ‘Wayne annoys me, and Alfred doesn't have the dry sense of humor he once did, instead now seeming an uptight, gruff type.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.