One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Raise up.‘one turret especially high in air uprear'd its tall gaunt form’
lift, lift up, raise aloft, elevateView synonyms
- ‘That mountain barrier, virtually annihilated so long as the faiths of the two peoples were one, was upreared again.’
- ‘See the bright nymph, that here her head uprears.’
- ‘Still their king's command they feared, and pressed around with arms upreared.’
- ‘He like the Lord of Hills appeared with ten huge heads to heaven upreared.’
- ‘Many a hecatomb will uprear its head, and many a sod be nurtured by the blood of liberty-loving human beings.’
- ‘There lay the great, rolling mattress of the Rannoch Moor, a vast and desolate place protected on all its sides by uprearing mountains.’
- ‘Lotuses their heads uprear from the pure wave, and charm the view with mingled tints of red and blue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.