One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
So as to reach or surpass the maximum level; to an extreme or intense degree.‘turn the volume up to eleven’‘I like my art cranked up to eleven’
- ‘The drama has been amped up to eleven.’
- ‘Not for the faint-hearted, this wine has the flavour turned up to eleven.’
- ‘If you played one of the past games in the series, imagine one of them cranked up to eleven.’
- ‘He only really had one character - himself turned up to eleven.’
- ‘Turn that stereo up to eleven, close your eyes, and pray for some live dates soon.’
- ‘It followed the existential/kickass pattern of the first movie, with each cranked up to eleven.’
- ‘This type of condescension is cranked up to eleven here - there's no room for even a hint of interpretation.’
- ‘Every plot is turned up to eleven, as it were.’
- ‘Slip the disc into your player and turn the volume up to eleven.’
- ‘His band's amps went up to eleven.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.