One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a plan or issue) still to be settled; unresolved.‘the fate of the power station is up in the air’
uncertain, unknown, undetermined, unsettled, unresolved, unsure, pending, in the balance, in limbo, in no man's land, debatable, open to question, in doubtView synonyms
- ‘He's now in his final year of study and the future is still a bit up in the air.’
- ‘What happens beyond that or where it will take place is as up in the air as his plans in high school.’
- ‘Its own future is in doubt at this point and sources suggest the situation is now totally up in the air.’
- ‘Nothing was happening, the whole thing was up in the air and was a complete shambles.’
- ‘It's still up in the air because the file folders in which we found them had no labels.’
- ‘As the company has just recently changed hands and still seems to be up in the air, I don't know who to contact about it.’
- ‘The future of the women's volleyball team is up in the air as it is the final season for many of the players.’
- ‘It doesn't look good for the democrats at the moment, but it's still up in the air.’
- ‘Is there going to be resolution this week, or is it going to be left up in the air as it has been in the past?’
- ‘At this stage his future is very much up in the air as is the possibility of him remaining a United player.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.