Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ill.‘he was admitted to hospital for tests after feeling unwell’
ill, sick, poorly, indisposed, ailing, not well, not very well, not oneself, not in good shape, in a bad way, out of sorts, not up to par, below par, under par, peaky, liverish, queasy, nauseousoff, off colourunder the weather, not up to snuff, funny, peculiar, crummy, lousy, roughropy, grottywabbitcrookcrappyqueer, seedyView synonyms
- ‘By the time he reached Portbou he was unwell, indigent and running for his life.’
- ‘She did manage to get some work done the next day, though Molly thought she looked unwell.’
- ‘The woman, who is believed to be elderly, was admitted to Macclesfield Hospital after she complained of feeling unwell.’
- ‘She had been unwell in the early mornings for two days now, and she was worried.’
- ‘But on Saturday morning she had started whimpering after her morning sleep and was hot, unwell and somewhat limp.’
- ‘I have been quite unwell this spring with a bad cold but I am in hopes I will got over it.’
- ‘I can do this for only so long before I have to examine the microlevel problem of being unwell.’
- ‘She said her daughter had become unwell when they returned to their hotel room after a day by the swimming pool.’
- ‘If your pet is feeling unwell, they probably aren't up for their photo being taken.’
- ‘King Henry would surely notice if I seemed unwell so I made an effort to calm myself.’
- ‘He looked very unwell indeed, much as if he were fighting off a fever or the flu.’
- ‘He was full of humor, as I say, even though I saw him last time and he was obviously very unwell.’
- ‘Although now back at home Milla said Otis is still unwell and reeling from the shock of being so poorly.’
- ‘Each claimed at the court martials at Tidworth he had stayed at home to deal with family problems and their respective mothers had been unwell.’
- ‘They are the people who can soon tell if their child is off colour or unwell.’
- ‘Her twin has been unwell for quite a while now yet she does not seem to have a high temperature or a cold of any sort.’
- ‘It is understood that he first became unwell late last week.’
- ‘The Ocean's 11 actor was staying at his parents' home in Denver, Colorado, when he started to feel unwell.’
- ‘I think there are a whole lot more good people in the world than there are people who are mentally unwell.’
- ‘Then, at about 13,000 feet, Gillian began to feel unwell and was diagnosed by a doctor as having a chest infection.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.