Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not wavering; steady or resolute:‘she fixed him with an unwavering stare’
steady, fixed, resolute, resolved, firm, steadfast, decided, unswerving, unfluctuating, unhesitating, unfaltering, unvacillating, untiring, tireless, unflagging, indefatigable, persistent, unyielding, relentless, unremitting, unrelenting, sustained, inexorable, unshakeableView synonyms
- ‘He has seen Susan through the darkest of times, been an unwavering, solid support for her and their children.’
- ‘At election times, they were always having a go at him and ribbing him about his unwavering support for me.’
- ‘Her face was firm, unwavering, jaw set and strong as the nature of William's grin changed.’
- ‘The mayor picked him over career police executives for his unwavering political loyalty and subservience.’
- ‘He said the key to success was the unity of beet growers and the unwavering support of other farmers.’
- ‘You've got to just hold steady and steadfast and unwavering in certain situations.’
- ‘The laughter would fuse into worry as she realized I was unwavering in my inexorable demands.’
- ‘She carries absolute and unwavering support as a DA leader from the liberals in her own province.’
- ‘An unwavering sense of purpose, or destiny, motivates many impostors, and even exposure rarely lessens this desire.’
- ‘He told me all along he would be the champion miler of the world with unwavering optimism and I would say we are three-quarters of the way there now.’
- ‘He is considered knowledgeable, unwavering in convictions and committed to the law.’
- ‘Even with unwavering support from communities, most clubs are in dire straits.’
- ‘With unwavering resolve we support plurality, egalitarianism, and the political process.’
- ‘I'm lucky that I've had unwavering support on this from my parents, my friends, and my advisors.’
- ‘Now many say their country has turned its back on the Taliban after pledging its unwavering support for the US.’
- ‘I could not have led the life I had, were it not for her unwavering support.’
- ‘We managed to give him a decent funeral only because of the unwavering support of our true and financial capable friends.’
- ‘Her return to health is a testament to her unwavering resolve and will to live.’
- ‘His unwavering stare was causing an unwanted reaction in my stomach.’
- ‘She smiled at him and later looked away, abashed, at his unwavering stare.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.