One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not able to be authorized or sanctioned; unjustifiable.‘an unwarrantable intrusion into personal matters’
inexcusable, unjustifiable, unjustified, unpardonable, unforgivable, inexpiableuntenable, insupportable, unsustainable, unwarranted, unjustifiable, unjustified, unsound, ill-founded, unfounded, groundless, baseless, flimsy, weak, shaky, flawed, faulty, defective, invalid, specious, arbitrary, implausible, absurd, illogical, irrational, preposterous, senseless, unacceptableView synonyms
- ‘Suddenly there was that feeling again; that unwarrantable, totally irrational feeling of optimism.’
- ‘I wish they had chosen the way of non-violence in resisting what they rightly regard as an unwarrantable encroachment upon their country.’
- ‘We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us.’
- ‘Ironically, this is the same kind of ultimately unwarrantable conviction that religion wants its practitioners to adopt: belief without demonstrable proof.’
- ‘Certainly the delay here is not unwarrantable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.