Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not or no longer desired.‘affairs can lead to unwanted pregnancies’‘she felt unwanted’
uninvited, intruding, gatecrashing, unbidden, unasked, unrequested, unsolicitedfriendless, unloved, uncared-for, uncherished, unpopular, forsaken, rejected, shunned, dislikedunwelcome, undesirable, undesired, unpopular, unfortunate, unlucky, unfavourable, untoward, too badunused, left over, surplus, superfluous, redundantView synonyms
- ‘What if anti-spam laws could be formulated to prevent unwanted telemarketing calls?’
- ‘Stray and unwanted cats have been patched up, neutered and sent off to new homes.’
- ‘He has received unwanted attention from religious parties in the past, he says.’
- ‘We would be grateful for any unused or unwanted books which can be handed into us at the Museum.’
- ‘York's animal shelter is packed out with unwanted cats and dogs who now need new homes.’
- ‘This a chance to get some money for Christmas and also to dispose of unwanted items at home.’
- ‘The idea is that the active noise cancels out or reduces the unwanted sound.’
- ‘Customers will benefit from a reduction in the number of unwanted and inappropriate calls.’
- ‘Farmers often see them as a nuisance, an unwanted obstacle dividing up valuable grazing land.’
- ‘Now there is a chance to get rid of unwanted articles, and serve a worthwhile cause as well.’
- ‘What kind of policy is this where senior citizens are made to feel unloved and unwanted?’
- ‘I ask whether he found himself the focus of unwanted press attention when they were together.’
- ‘A former keeper at Glasgow Zoo alleges unwanted pets were fed to snakes as a cost cutting exercise.’
- ‘It too was a place to hide from the social and moral stigma of unwanted pregnancy.’
- ‘They don't replace items because they are unwanted, a little frayed or just out of fashion.’
- ‘She was part of an unwanted litter and came to us at just five weeks' old.’
- ‘Giving a charitable donation in the name of a friend is another way to avoid handing over unwanted gifts.’
- ‘They are also sending out posters to remind patients to cancel unwanted appointments.’
- ‘The long dark nights are here again but so are the unwanted visitors to our homes.’
- ‘The club would welcome any unwanted toys in good condition that can be sold.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.