One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of words or thoughts) not spoken or expressed.‘her lips mouthed unuttered thanks’
unstated, unexpressed, unsaid, unmentioned, unvoiced, unarticulated, undeclared, unavowed, not spelt out, mute, silent, wordless, voicelessView synonyms
- ‘If he has good news to impart it remains unuttered.’
- ‘The word ‘oil’ went virtually unuttered in the course of hours and hours of testimony.’
- ‘To do justice to the many conflicting and various unuttered messages that were being sent here, you'd rightly have to look at this the way we used to look at the lineups and hierarchies and seating positions on May Day in Red Square.’
- ‘Interpretation is not the reiteration of the text but, rather, the movement of the text beyond itself in fresh, often formerly unuttered ways.’
- ‘The other word left relatively unuttered was ‘Israel.’’
- ‘That was the essence and beauty of their love: unuttered but understood completely.’
- ‘Her lips tight with unuttered curses, she walked softly down the hall, very quickly losing her bearings.’
- ‘I think I actually came up with a fresh curse, right then and there, unuttered by anyone before, a unique combination of the sacred and profane.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.