One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a piano or other musical instrument) unable to be tuned.
- ‘It is saddening to consider the state of mind of a person who expresses joy upon a day of general thanksgiving or at the opening of a new year by blowing on an untunable tin horn.’
- ‘Unfortunately, when the lute arrives it will be mostly untunable and unplayable.’
- ‘If a free, untunable piano is given a thousand dollar refinishing job, it is still a free piano.’
- ‘Maybe we could have a benefit for Sisters in Crime: Gina could play the untunable Irish harp.’
- ‘The guitar had a moulded plastic fretboard and friction pegs, and was of course completely untunable, let alone playable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.