One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a piano or other musical instrument) unable to be tuned.
- ‘Unfortunately, when the lute arrives it will be mostly untunable and unplayable.’
- ‘It is saddening to consider the state of mind of a person who expresses joy upon a day of general thanksgiving or at the opening of a new year by blowing on an untunable tin horn.’
- ‘The guitar had a moulded plastic fretboard and friction pegs, and was of course completely untunable, let alone playable.’
- ‘Maybe we could have a benefit for Sisters in Crime: Gina could play the untunable Irish harp.’
- ‘If a free, untunable piano is given a thousand dollar refinishing job, it is still a free piano.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.