Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not having been transformed in form, appearance, or character:‘untransformed rage can become a constant mantra about how oppressed we were’
- ‘Genomic DNA from independently transformed and untransformed tissues was subjected to PCR.’
- ‘The complete absence of untransformed animals in these transformed lines suggested that these stable lines were homozygous for a chromosomal insertion of the transforming plasmid.’
- ‘Nevertheless, incubation of leaf discs with cysteine increased glutathione contents substantially in untransformed and transformed poplars, particularly in the light, suggesting that cysteine supply remains a key limitation.’
- ‘The transformed roots are morphologically indistinguishable from untransformed roots and, in the case of legumes, they can be nodulated by Rhizobium bacteria and infected by mycorrhizal fungi.’
- ‘Proportions were arcsine transformed, although untransformed means are presented.’
- ‘By removing pyruvate and uridine supplementation from the culture media, untransformed cells are removed, while the transformed individual cybrid cells expand.’
- ‘The use of untransformed data for multiplicative fitness traits induces positive bias in the estimates of up to 50% for the ratio estimate when there are many segregating deleterious mutations per individual.’
- ‘First, they contained variable proportions of transformed and untransformed nuclei because protoplasts are often plurinucleate.’
- ‘However, the capacity of sucrose unloading in 23 DAA fruit, a point at which SuSy activity is maximal in untransformed fruit, was not significantly decreased in the antisense SuSy plants compared to controls.’
- ‘The dissolution of the USSR, however, prompted the Air Force to build a small B-2 force and retain untransformed, nonstealthy manned bombers.’
- ‘They persist, their lives untransformed by love or loyalty or the fleeting courage they have to muster.’
- ‘All analyses of the actual data were run on untransformed and log-transformed phenotype data (age of death).’
- ‘Some of the variables exhibited moderate skewness; however, power transformations of the variables did not improve the fit of the model and therefore untransformed variables were used.’
- ‘We log transformed measures of population size and fitness except for proportions, which underwent an angular transformation, and offspring seed production, which remained untransformed.’
- ‘The second is the scene in which the panel of experts meticulously details all the physical shortcomings each untransformed woman has.’
- ‘We performed principal components analysis on the untransformed data using the correlation matrix, thus weighting all variables equally.’
- ‘The anesthetic sensitivities of transformed and untransformed siblings were measured on the same dispersal assay plates simultaneously.’
- ‘They suggest that untransformed measures of client size may provide an upper boundary to the estimate of market concentration.’
- ‘Nobody remains untransformed by this contact, not displaced Native Americans, not enslaved Africans, and not even the apparent conquerors, the European colonists.’
- ‘In parenchyma cells, the contents of hexoses remained unchanged while sucrose content decreased only slightly in transformed tubers compared to untransformed tubers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.