One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘All evils, as elements, are most troublesome, when out of their proper place, as impiety in professors; injustice in judges; unkindness or untowardness in a people toward their pastor.’
- ‘I hope the personal integrity of everyone at UCLA will ensure no such untowardness unfolds.’
- ‘They all talked to her as though she was simply obstinate and a fool, not perceiving, as she did herself, that the untowardness of her fortune had prescribed this destiny for her.’
- ‘One has to wonder at the possible untowardness of the caption beneath the shooter on page 47 of the Jan / Feb 2004 issue.’
- ‘His untowardness is the effect of environment, an effect for which ‘society’ is somehow responsible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.