Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not using money and other resources carefully; wasteful.‘playing those machines was a worldly unthrifty activity not to be indulged in’
spendthrift, thriftless, unthrifty, wasteful, prodigal, profligate, extravagant, squandering, uneconomical, free-spending, lavish, immoderate, excessiveView synonyms
- ‘That's all well and good, but the thing would cost some unthrifty soul at least $3,000.’
- ‘In this unthrifty off-season, ‘steal’ isn't the proper word to use, but the few reasonable deals stand out as bargains.’
- ‘He failed in his malting business, was unthrifty and careless with money, and had, in fact, no liking for, or ability in, any business except politics.’
- ‘The vocabulary of generating and creating jobs out of unthrifty behavior sounds to noneconomists tough and prudential and quantitative.’
2archaic, dialect (of livestock or plants) not strong and healthy.‘worms can cause intestinal problems, weight loss, and unthrifty coat’
- ‘This shortens the life of blooms and makes the violet unthrifty.’
- ‘Such unthrifty Shih Tzu puppies may respond positively to a few milliliters of raw liver juice fed daily for their first few weeks.’
- ‘Remove and burn plants with knotted roots or unthrifty plants with extensive root decay.’
- ‘Hip dysplasia is a malformation of the hip joint resulting in a unthrifty fit between the head of the femur bone and the hip socket, in which the femoral head normally lies.’
- ‘Symptoms may not be dramatic early in the spring; plants may just look slightly yellow and appear unthrifty.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.