One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not using money and other resources carefully; wasteful.‘playing those machines was a worldly unthrifty activity not to be indulged in’
spendthrift, thriftless, wasteful, prodigal, profligate, extravagant, squandering, uneconomical, free-spending, lavish, immoderate, excessiveView synonyms
- ‘That's all well and good, but the thing would cost some unthrifty soul at least $3,000.’
- ‘He failed in his malting business, was unthrifty and careless with money, and had, in fact, no liking for, or ability in, any business except politics.’
- ‘The vocabulary of generating and creating jobs out of unthrifty behavior sounds to noneconomists tough and prudential and quantitative.’
- ‘In this unthrifty off-season, ‘steal’ isn't the proper word to use, but the few reasonable deals stand out as bargains.’
2dialect, archaic (of livestock or plants) not strong and healthy.‘worms can cause intestinal problems, weight loss, and unthrifty coat’
- ‘This shortens the life of blooms and makes the violet unthrifty.’
- ‘Hip dysplasia is a malformation of the hip joint resulting in a unthrifty fit between the head of the femur bone and the hip socket, in which the femoral head normally lies.’
- ‘Remove and burn plants with knotted roots or unthrifty plants with extensive root decay.’
- ‘Such unthrifty Shih Tzu puppies may respond positively to a few milliliters of raw liver juice fed daily for their first few weeks.’
- ‘Symptoms may not be dramatic early in the spring; plants may just look slightly yellow and appear unthrifty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.