Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not taxed or subject to taxation.
- ‘Many gains and dividends go untaxed, because equities are owned by tax-exempt investors such as pension funds.’
- ‘Items which could reduce your tax free allowance are any untaxed interest, benefits in kind or any freelance earnings.’
- ‘Also, actions by the state in relation to rezoning, planning permission or infrastructure should not result in significant, untaxed gains to landowners.’
- ‘The airline industry is unique in the transport sector in that it pays no VAT and its fuel remains untaxed.’
- ‘But it serves no public purpose to encourage plaintiffs to regard a successful libel action, risky though the process undoubtedly is, as a road to untaxed riches.’
- ‘We call it an income tax, but it doesn't actually tax all income: The value of fringe benefits, such as health insurance and parking, goes untaxed.’
- ‘Consumption of land and natural resources remains substantially untaxed.’
- ‘Diesel fuel for fishermen is currently untaxed in many EU countries, but even so the costs for the industry have become prohibitive with a recent spike in the price of oil.’
- ‘One idea for improvement might be to tax each bequest rather than the estate as a whole: smaller bequests would be untaxed.’
- ‘The taco shop would pass to heirs untaxed, just as the vast majority of small businesses do.’
- ‘Take the Netherlands, which long tolerated a thriving but untaxed sex trade in the Walletjes, Amsterdam's red-light district.’
- ‘With corporate tax levels around 35 per cent, Microsoft effectively received an untaxed benefit of $16 billion.’
- ‘It is true that a partial excise can be shifted forward in this way, in the long run, by resources leaving, let us say, the liquor industry and shifting into other untaxed industries.’
- ‘Social Security benefits are untaxed for relatively low-income beneficiaries but 85% taxable for higher-income recipients.’
- ‘Heath envisioned free, untaxed trade, but ignored the issue of the natural bounty, and went beyond George in seeking to eradicate the political source of governmental tyranny.’
- ‘At some point the American government will have to do something about the huge amount of untaxed money leaving the country.’
- ‘Even the author seems amazed by the extent to which the cruise lines remain unregulated, untaxed, and simply unaccountable to anyone.’
- ‘Even federal employees earn 25 percent more in untaxed hardship pay.’
- ‘So it is an untaxed fund, or not a taxed fund, and there is no rebate.’
- ‘To pay these volunteers, he levied a three percent flat income tax on those earning $800 or more, as well as a variety of sales taxes, to the point that Northerners complained that the only thing left untaxed was the air.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.