Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of food or drink) without sugar or a similar substance having been added:‘unsweetened grapefruit juice’
sour, sharp, sharp-tasting, tangy, bitter, acid, acidic, zesty, piquant, pungent, strong, harsh, unsweetened, vinegary, lemony, citrus, burning, acrid, aceticView synonyms
- ‘Also, the calories in juice add up: Sixteen ounces of unsweetened apple juice contains 240 calories and no fiber, while a medium apple has 72 calories and 3.3 grams of fiber.’
- ‘For breakfast, eat unsweetened cereals and yogurts.’
- ‘Eat fruit or drink pure, unsweetened fruit juice only.’
- ‘Such an establishment may serve unsweetened tea but in such case must also serve sweet tea.’
- ‘Bringing the composer's tartly individual music to life (a bit like unsweetened lemon juice), they prove, too, an indispensable supplement to this sympathetic and thorough composer portrait.’
- ‘During the day, drink no-calorie or low-calorie beverages, such as water, unsweetened tea or coffee, and diet soda.’
- ‘For that reason, unsweetened chocolate is not considered a contributing factor in the development of caries in humans, or in measures of plaque formation, acidity, or enamel demineralization.’
- ‘Children exposed to heavily sweetened foods develop a ‘sweet palate,’ but those who take the plunge and take unsweetened drinks may prefer them, which seems a better solution.’
- ‘If they have a habit of eating unsweetened foods from the start they won't want sweet foods later.’
- ‘Two to three glasses a day of unsweetened apple cider can help treat kidney and gall bladder stones.’
- ‘There are also more mundane suggestions like using cheap shampoo instead of expensive cleansers to remove dirt from shower doors or using unsweetened lemonade Kool-Aid to remove lime and soap scum buildup from your dishwasher.’
- ‘Drink at least eight glasses of water, herbal teas and unsweetened fruit juice.’
- ‘In addition, an unsweetened cereal may encourage children to add their own sugar, bringing unsweetened cereals up to or above the sugar content of cereals like Trix.’
- ‘We began by melting butter and unsweetened chocolate and sugar and water together.’
- ‘Olives, vegetables, legumes, potatoes, rice, unsweetened fruits and gluten-free products are allowed.’
- ‘Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, such as unsweetened fruit juice, cool water or ginger ale that's lost its carbonation.’
- ‘Brush with unsweetened apple juice concentrate, place on grill screen and turn every 10 minutes until lightly browned and tender.’
- ‘Also, water and natural, unsweetened fruit juices help calm stressed-out nerves.’
- ‘The pastel de queso was a pleasantly unsweetened cheese pie.’
- ‘Cheese-flavoured biscuits have their origins in medieval cheese tarts and pastries; but the totally plain, unsweetened biscuit for eating with cheese did not come into use until the 18th century.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.