One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not summoned.‘these visions appeared, unsummoned’
- ‘Yesterday, my solicitor entered my bed-chamber unsummoned, a presumptuous act for which I once would have had him flayed three times about the court-yard.’
- ‘A pair of strangers arrive, unsummoned, at the home of the dear departed; they sit with his widow long into the night.’
- ‘For every guest invited to the state functions and banquets, ten more came unsummoned, watching the living dancing and laughing and enjoying himself or herself.’
- ‘Young, handsome men visited my chamber unsummoned.’
- ‘All of Nicole's 911 calls began, after his first unsummoned visit to Rockingham.’
- ‘Your unsummoned presence seems to say that there is such concern among your cryptic senders.’
- ‘Yet there he was, unexpected, unsummoned, and that could only mean one thing: more trouble, and of a grave kind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.