Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not fitting or appropriate.‘the display is unsuitable for young children’
unbecoming, unseemly, indecorous, improperinopportune, infelicitous, malaproposinappropriate, unsuited, ill-suited, inapt, inapposite, unfitting, unbefitting, undue, incompatible, out of place, out of keeping, out of character, incongruousView synonyms
- ‘For example, a Likert scale is entirely unsuitable for asking factual questions about behaviour.’
- ‘The RSC advises that the production is unsuitable for children under the age of 14.’
- ‘Some other fields are of made up ground and unsuitable for building on.’
- ‘Tours are organised by the Friends of Old Palace who regret that the building is unsuitable for wheelchairs.’
- ‘They are also concerned that many are housed in old and unsuitable buildings.’
- ‘He said all library terminals were available to children and needed protection from unsuitable sites.’
- ‘BNP opponents insist the party's policies mean they are unsuitable to take a key role in school life.’
- ‘Some have left in their wake a trail of disconsolate and usually highly unsuitable young men.’
- ‘Anyone who fails to appoint a legal guardian runs the risk of unsuitable people applying for the position.’
- ‘This is why people who appear to be completely unsuitable for one another can live long happy lives together.’
- ‘He said no-one would be forced to approve development on unsuitable areas.’
- ‘If they could not find a job after the two years of supply work then they were deemed unsuitable for the profession and had to leave.’
- ‘One in eight viewers thought soap operas were now unsuitable for children.’
- ‘Tonight I ought to go out as a British country gentleman and find companions wholly unsuitable to my station.’
- ‘Some roads are completely unsuitable for lorries in the Moors and Dales.’
- ‘I can think of far worse ways to die but they're unsuitable for mention.’
- ‘In May last year the plans were turned down as being unsuitable for an historic building.’
- ‘Also, some of the land may be unsuitable because of low forestry yield potential.’
- ‘Many shops are willing to exchange goods if they are unsuitable.’
- ‘Warning stickers were placed on the bins that had incorrect or unsuitable material in them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.