One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that fails to accomplish a desired aim or result.‘I have tried unsuccessfully to secure a mortgage’‘he unsuccessfully opposed the sanctions policy’
- ‘On Bach's death in 1650, he applied unsuccessfully for the vacant post at Leipzig.’
- ‘In 1950, he ran unsuccessfully for the US Senate.’
- ‘Would-be practitioners attempted unsuccessfully to make daguerreotypes from Western manuals.’
- ‘He plays a young man struggling unsuccessfully to accept the death of his mother.’
- ‘Americans tried to take part of British Canada in December 1775, when forces led by Benedict Arnold and Richard Montgomery unsuccessfully attacked Quebec.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.