One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that fails to accomplish a desired aim or result.‘I have tried unsuccessfully to secure a mortgage’‘he unsuccessfully opposed the sanctions policy’
- ‘He plays a young man struggling unsuccessfully to accept the death of his mother.’
- ‘On Bach's death in 1650, he applied unsuccessfully for the vacant post at Leipzig.’
- ‘Americans tried to take part of British Canada in December 1775, when forces led by Benedict Arnold and Richard Montgomery unsuccessfully attacked Quebec.’
- ‘Would-be practitioners attempted unsuccessfully to make daguerreotypes from Western manuals.’
- ‘In 1950, he ran unsuccessfully for the US Senate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.