One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remove the stopper from (a bottle or other container)‘he unstoppered the jar’
- ‘He unstoppered the flask and poured a minute amount into a glass standing by the bedside, then added pure water.’
- ‘She ignored the tension of his frame as she carefully unstoppered a water bottle and brought it to his lips.’
- ‘He unstoppered the bottle, and froze, as the fumes from it hit him.’
- ‘She unstoppered it and to her surprise it was full.’
- ‘He pulled a bottle from his robes and unstoppered it, passing the opening under his nose for a few seconds.’
- ‘The fey queen took it, and when she unstoppered the bottle, a scent as of honey, beautiful as dew on roses, filled the airy chamber.’
- ‘He could feel the clammy touch of water or mud soaking through his trousers as he held the bowl between his knees and unstoppered the flask.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.