Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not having been stimulated.‘sci-fi fans will remain unstimulated by the film’
- ‘Trepanation, they say, is the cure for the unstimulated adult brain.’
- ‘Nothing changed in the unstimulated control group.’
- ‘In unstimulated cells, the refractory period would take ~ 1-2 s and is prolonged by a repellent stimulus.’
- ‘Sci-fi fans will remain unstimulated.’
- ‘Concentrations of 100 nM and above brought the fluorescence to similar values relative to the unstimulated level.’
- ‘The frequency distribution of run-lengths of unstimulated cells exhibits an asymmetric characteristic.’
- ‘Growth rate data from stimulated and unstimulated seedlings were not significantly different and were therefore combined to evaluate differences between genotypes.’
- ‘To summarize, metaphase spreads were made from a 24-hour, unstimulated cell culture and were G-banded by the standard trypsin-Giemsa banding method.’
- ‘When the nerve is unstimulated, the diaphragm relaxes and the air is expelled.’
- ‘Thus, activated T cells treated with a variety of photosensitizing agents consistently exhibit an increased sensitivity to PDT relative to T cells in an unstimulated state.’
- ‘The pattern of DNA fragmentation is qualitatively the same in both stimulated and unstimulated cells.’
- ‘The increased Na + absorption is reflected in an increase in resting unstimulated PD, together with an increased response to the Na + channel blocker amiloride.’
- ‘The test was used to compare the number of apoptotic cells in unstimulated versus stimulated lymphocytes.’
- ‘Curvature of unstimulated controls was not significantly different from zero for any genotype.’
- ‘This linear relationship is remarkably similar for unstimulated and TNF-Î-stimulated endothelial cells.’
- ‘Compared with unstimulated cells, luciferase activity was threefold higher after stimulation with sarcoid ELF.’
- ‘For growth measurements, data from stimulated and unstimulated controls did not differ and were combined for each genotype.’
- ‘The observed fusion events occurred on the second timescale, a trait similar to the physiological fusion rate in unstimulated neurons.’
- ‘Twenty-four-hour unstimulated BM lymphocyte cultures were set up and harvested using standard procedures.’
- ‘In the unstimulated (basal) state, 70 percent of saliva is secreted by the submandibular and sublingual glands.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.