Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not spiritual; worldly:‘the clergymen were deplorably unspiritual’
earthly, terrestrial, temporal, mundane, mortal, human, non-spiritual, unspiritual, material, materialistic, physical, tangible, carnal, fleshly, bodily, corporeal, gross, sensual, base, sordid, vile, profaneView synonyms
- ‘Some astrologers claim that scientific research is impersonal or unspiritual or insensitive to deeper truths.’
- ‘Wiles's work led to future studies which attempted to understand heresy as a system of religious thought rather than ‘a lifeless system of unspiritual pride and hard unlovingness.’’
- ‘Seed to plant, boy to man, girl to woman, tadpole to frog, caterpillar to butterfly, bud to blossom - these common transitions drive even the most unspiritual types among us to utter words like ‘mystery’ and ‘miracle.’’
- ‘The Bible puts it this way: ‘The unspiritual person doesn't accept the things of the Spirit of God; to him they are foolish and he can't understand them because they are spiritually understood‘.’
- ‘It is neither anti-religion nor unspiritual to vigorously oppose such distortions.’
- ‘If we doubted what we saw or seemed to question authority, we were seen as rebels, unsaved, or just plain unspiritual.’
- ‘This idea of legalizing shame in the name of God seems very unspiritual, even deeply unreligious to millions of Americans.’
- ‘These are all natural assumptions of unspiritual men whose minds are darkened to God's word.’
- ‘So that's where I am, that's why this blog has become decidedly unspiritual after a few months of frantic spiritual searching.’
- ‘On the other hand, ‘bitter envy and selfish ambition’ does not come from above, ‘but is earthly, unspiritual, devilish’.’
- ‘Talk to the average parish priest or parishioner and they will tell you of falling numbers, unspiritual schoolchildren, struggles to raise money, initiatives which drain the heart and soul and usually achieve little or nothing.’
- ‘Why does Hashem feel the need to reassure Yaakov that land, one of the most unspiritual things, will be given to him?’
- ‘Devout Catholics have at times been shabbily treated under laïcité, and many likely think the world it structures is arid and unspiritual.’
- ‘If we can just get the great man to endorse Scottish tourism, we could make a very unspiritual mint.’
- ‘I think they're idea contains the nasty meme that desire and lust are somehow wrong, bad or even worse - unspiritual!’
- ‘There is nothing unspiritual in itself about gift-giving.’
- ‘Communalism implies an unspiritual and irreligious alliance between the religious and political establishments that flouts every spiritual value that we cherish.’
- ‘I know this is like, the most unspiritual conversation ever, but how about it?’
- ‘I am not a cynical, unspiritual atheist that believes only in what she can see.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.