One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But since his game and his character are of the unglamorous kind, because he goes about his job quietly, efficiently, unspectacularly, he has perhaps not got quite the recognition he deserves.’
- ‘Nothing quite like that greeted Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings which, when first published in 1955, sold steadily if unspectacularly.’
- ‘Between the wars he rose steadily but unspectacularly in rank and by 1936 was a lt-general.’
- ‘He is a long-standing member who competes regularly, if usually unspectacularly, off his 23 handicap.’
- ‘Yet the first shot arced neatly if unspectacularly towards the practice green.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.