Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not stated clearly or exactly.‘an unspecified number of people’
unnamed, unstated, unidentified, unquantified, undesignated, undefined, unfixed, undecided, undetermined, uncertain, uncountednameless, anonymous, mystery, mysterious, incognito, unknownindefinite, indeterminate, vague, obscure, arbitrary, such-and-such a …, some, anythis, nth, x number of …innominateView synonyms
- ‘In September last year members of all parties voted unanimously to grant him an extended leave of absence due to an unspecified illness.’
- ‘Vague promises of unspecified future salvation just don't cut it in today's market.’
- ‘At first, the speaker is out of view, looking on from an unknown, unspecified locale.’
- ‘A proposal, details of which remain unspecified, for emergency measures also has been mooted.’
- ‘For unspecified reasons, he was demoted in 1927, so he resigned and returned to Sofia.’
- ‘I will never get another chance, and I hear it will even change my life, in some unspecified but profound mystical fashion.’
- ‘At some unspecified point, consistent breach of a rule becomes the rule.’
- ‘An unspecified threat has led to the closures of several courthouses in Connecticut.’
- ‘They would be placed in a truck and driven into an unspecified Baltimore tunnel.’
- ‘The move is expected to take place at a yet unspecified time later in the year following a £1.6million revamp.’
- ‘We have been asked by the council to take on a pension liability which is unspecified and unquantified.’
- ‘The US Air Force has also received orders to deploy an unspecified number of B - 2 bombers.’
- ‘An hour later, the post office manager received a call on his mobile from a man demanding an unspecified amount of money.’
- ‘The Supreme Court ruled the charges were unlawful and granted unspecified damages to the airline.’
- ‘He revealed that City's directors had given the go-ahead for a fans' forum to be held on an unspecified date next year.’
- ‘This includes unspecified economic penalties and the severing of diplomatic relations.’
- ‘But after that you will be able to stay in your own suite, as long as it isn't occupied, at an as yet unspecified discount.’
- ‘Flights have either been cancelled, rescheduled or simply delayed for unspecified periods.’
- ‘He is also thought to be suffering from a serious, but unspecified, illness for which he needs powerful medication.’
- ‘The law suit asks for unspecified damages on behalf of Keeney and her son.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.