Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Not made soft or softer in texture.‘unsoftened butter’
- ‘Even if there is a thin layer of unsoftened cheese in the centre, if it's made by this traditional method, it will still have all that flavour and aroma.’
- ‘It is an easily usable glue intended for bonding the parts made of the unsoftened PVC.’
- ‘Are you using softened or unsoftened butter?’
- ‘In the past when I have made cheesecake batter where there are some lumps of unsoftened cream cheese they never seem to go away.’
- ‘When I got this pup, I was specifically told that he eats dry, unsoftened kibbles.’
2Not made less harsh, stark, or severe.‘the shade of red is bold, unsoftened by blues or oranges’
- ‘Unsoftened by the polished silver of the mirror, her face looked tired.’
- ‘She is Version 2.0 of the old-school, a little more gussied-up and pop photogenic than their aesthetic forebears perhaps, but still possessing the unsoftened grit and untouched toughness.’
- ‘To possess the intellect, the hopes, the ambitions of a man, unsoftened by any feminine attribute: this was the tragedy.’
- ‘His Scouse accent is resolutely unsoftened by regular contact with vicars and other representatives of the lecturing classes.’
- ‘Not helping is his unsoftened South African accent, which makes much of his dialog very difficult to decipher.’
- ‘In this environment, unsoftened by so much as a cushion or a curtain, his amplified rock soundtrack echoes and re-echoes.’
3(of water) not having had mineral salts removed.‘use unsoftened water for drinking and cooking’
- ‘Testing electric water heaters over an equivalent 15 months of service found 64 times more scaling on unsoftened water than softened water.’
- ‘Since water softeners may be a hidden source of sodium, use unsoftened water for drinking and cooking.’
- ‘I would perform a simple taste test on the unsoftened tap water and assess if it tastes good.’
- ‘Will water-softened water make grass dry sooner then unsoftened water?’
- ‘You may want to consider installing a separate faucet for unsoftened water for drinking and cooking.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.