Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Disentangle.‘he helped her unsnarl her muddled views’
put right, set right, sort out, iron out, clear up, settle, resolve, find a solution to, put in order, tidy up, regulate, regularize, rectify, repair, remedyView synonyms
- ‘I personally am proud of the way our nation is putting itself on the line in an attempt to unsnarl a part of the world that has been a source of so much heartache for people all over the globe, for so many years.’
- ‘They will also require tools to unsnarl their hair; a pick and a vented hair brush work very well.’
- ‘Perhaps some day soon the Office of the Special Counsel will help unsnarl this baffling morass.’
- ‘Sometimes, no amount of pulling or twisting unsnarls the coils.’
- ‘‘Listen,’ she said, when he was finally unsnarled, ‘I've got some news.’’
- ‘‘Normally this comb is unused,’ he said, still unsnarling a particular knot, ‘but today I ran out of gel so I was forced to use manual tactics.’’
- ‘I retrace the history that led people to see human nature as a dangerous idea, and I try to unsnarl the moral and political rat's nests that have entangled the idea along the way.’
- ‘Go up in a bo's'n's chair in these conditions and try to unsnarl the mess.’
- ‘With the line now unsnarled, I suggest we switch places - I'll pole for a while, Hiaasen can fish.’
- ‘‘The structural problems I set for myself in writing, in a long, snarled, frustrating and sometimes despairing morning of work,’ she says, ‘I can usually unsnarl by running in the afternoon.’’
- ‘Hmmm… Posting this post unsnarled the problem.’
- ‘While we sat there, I came up with all sorts of reform ideas for unsnarling traffic on the bridges.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.