Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unpleasant to look at; ugly.‘an unsightly rubbish tip’
ugly, unattractive, unprepossessing, unlovely, ill-favoured, disagreeable, displeasing, awful-looking, frightful-looking, hideous, horrible, repulsive, revolting, repellent, disgusting, offensive, grotesque, monstrous, gruesome, ghastlyView synonyms
- ‘Also pay special attention to alleyways that can often be a wind trap or a store for unsightly rubbish.’
- ‘A rapidly expanding use of the technology is in the removal of unsightly warts and cysts.’
- ‘It led to the removal of a number of trees, and the construction of unsightly water cylinders and pumping houses.’
- ‘He said rubbish on motorways is unsightly and poses a danger to both drivers and animals.’
- ‘If you have an ugly suite, chances are you've also inherited some unsightly tiles.’
- ‘An unsightly building in the centre of Hockley which was once an iron foundry is set to be demolished and replaced with a new block of offices.’
- ‘Not only is this unsightly, it is also a health hazard and has been seen as showing a lack of respect for the community in general.’
- ‘The biggest problems appear to be litter on the streets and dogs fouling the footpaths, both unsightly.’
- ‘At the present time the river bed, situated in the village is almost dried up and is an unsightly mass of dried algae and slime.’
- ‘But too often mouths are firmly closed to hide yellowing enamel, unsightly fillings or missing teeth.’
- ‘Travellers who were running a paving company from a disused pub car park turned it into an unsightly rubbish dump.’
- ‘Often they are opposed by the community because they are deemed either unsightly or a hazard because of radiation emissions.’
- ‘At the back were unsightly old workshops and flat-roofed buildings.’
- ‘If you are worried that the warts are unsightly, see your GP about treatment options to help them to clear up more quickly.’
- ‘They are also of the opinion that the mast is unsightly in a high amenity residential area, and that it is extremely high.’
- ‘Photos of ugly babies and unsightly spouses have never met a kinder pair of eyes than yours.’
- ‘Work will commence shortly and will include the removal of the unsightly narrow grass margin on the city side.’
- ‘However, wind farms are often unpopular because they are unsightly.’
- ‘The most effective control is to check the plants regularly and remove unsightly and badly - affected foliage.’
- ‘This year they hired a part time by-law officer to aggressively enforce bylaws such as unsightly premises.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.