One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
brave, fearless, courageous, valorous, plucky, intrepid, heroic, stout-hearted, lionhearted, manly, manful, bold, daring, audacious, gallant, confident, spirited, stout, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, mettlesome, unalarmed, unflinching, unblenching, unabashed, undismayedView synonyms
- ‘Neill is in the business of making Meryl Streep, Holly Hunter, and Judy Davis look good; it could be argued that these unshrinking violets have given their finest performances opposite him.’
- ‘There must be a magistracy that is unshrinking in the execution of the laws.’
- ‘Invoking the spirit of our forefathers, the army asks your unshrinking support, to the end that the high ideals for which America stands may endure upon the earth.’
- ‘What Sayre admired was not some vague nobility that she found among the London exiles, but their unshrinking and ongoing commitment to radical goals.’
- ‘He's opinionated, frank and unshrinking in both his criticisms and his defense of players, coaches and referees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.