Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
brave, fearless, courageous, valorous, plucky, intrepid, heroic, stout-hearted, lionhearted, manly, manful, bold, daring, audacious, gallant, confident, spirited, stout, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, mettlesome, unalarmed, unflinching, unblenching, unabashed, undismayedView synonyms
- ‘There must be a magistracy that is unshrinking in the execution of the laws.’
- ‘Invoking the spirit of our forefathers, the army asks your unshrinking support, to the end that the high ideals for which America stands may endure upon the earth.’
- ‘Neill is in the business of making Meryl Streep, Holly Hunter, and Judy Davis look good; it could be argued that these unshrinking violets have given their finest performances opposite him.’
- ‘What Sayre admired was not some vague nobility that she found among the London exiles, but their unshrinking and ongoing commitment to radical goals.’
- ‘He's opinionated, frank and unshrinking in both his criticisms and his defense of players, coaches and referees.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.