One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a competitor or team in a sports tournament) not seeded.
uncultivated, unploughed, untilled, unplanted, unsown, unused, undeveloped, dormant, resting, empty, bare, virginView synonyms
- ‘The Wimbledon champion lost 6-4 5-7 5-7 to the unseeded 18-year-old in the second round match on Tuesday.’
- ‘For example, the preceding leg of the circuit in Mumbai saw two unseeded finalists.’
- ‘An unseeded player dethroned the reigning champion in the first round.’
- ‘The Clarets are among 18 seeded clubs in the northern section, where they will face an unseeded team on either August 23 or 24 with matches to be decided on the night.’
- ‘In 1985 the unknown Becker, aged just 17 years and 227 days, powered his way to victory at Wimbledon - the first unseeded player and the first German to win the men's competition.’
- ‘The 20-year-old Williams wasted no time in taking charge of the match with her next opponent the victor of the clash between defending champion Jelena Dokic of Yugoslavia and unseeded Russian Anastasia Myskina.’
- ‘In the prestigious Central Gauteng grand prix he was again unseeded, but still made the semi-finals, beating the number seven seed in the second round and the third seed in the quarter-finals.’
- ‘He has won an impressive 15 of his last 17 matches, including titles at Nottingham in June and Gstaad last month, and he becomes the first unseeded finalist at this event in three years.’
- ‘Still, she stunned everyone on her way to becoming an unseeded finalist at the United States Open.’
- ‘He then became the only unseeded player through to the semi-finals when he beat local wildcard player Bahi’
- ‘Both came through a tiebreaker set against an unseeded opponent and then ran off with a second set, sort of a statement for their ability to recover from adversity.’
- ‘The unseeded Henman originally had no intention of coming here, accepting a wild card entry just three days before the tournament began when Thomas Johansson withdrew because of a knee injury.’
- ‘Paphitis said: ‘It's a great draw, but they are probably the hardest unseeded team in our group.’’
- ‘Indeed, among the unseeded teams who should be contesting the third qualifying round there are few sides Rangers could be entirely comfortable of overhauling.’
- ‘Mwamba who was unseeded sailed to the semi-finals via a hard-fought 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 scoreline.’
- ‘Hingis' second-round opponent will be unseeded American Alexandra Stevenson, who ousted Croatia's Jelena Kostanic 6-3, 7-5.’
- ‘‘I'm very happy with the outcome,’ he said. ‘It could have been far worse given the quality of some of the unseeded teams in the draw.’’
- ‘The 22-year-old unseeded Thai was unable to maintain his solid start and a string of unforced errors allowed Taufik to take control of the match.’
- ‘The unseeded but spirited Chinese girl, also 17 and playing her second ITF tournament in India, ended up reacting to situations created by the champion's superior control and shot making ability.’
- ‘Boris Becker, 17, defeated Kevin Curren to become the first unseeded player to win Wimbledon.’
2(of a grape) not having seeds.
- ‘Try to use grapes that are seedless or which have very small seeds. I've managed to purchase both seeded and unseeded varieties.’
- ‘Seeded grapes are not as appealing as unseeded grapes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.