One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a vehicle) not roadworthy.
- ‘He also conceded that unroadworthy vehicles and drunken driving were major contributors.’
- ‘The joint venture by law enforcement agencies is concentrated on unroadworthy vehicles, drunken driving and reckless and negligent driving in an attempt to stem the road carnage.’
- ‘The defect in the rear offside brake was obvious and should have alerted a trained mechanic that the vehicle was unroadworthy.’
- ‘Local Traffic Department chiefs are investigating how an unroadworthy bus which had its licence suspended last week managed to obtained a replica licence disc.’
- ‘Two of the bikes were so unroadworthy because of brake and tyre defects that their owners were issued with immediate prohibition notices.’
- ‘One Irish crew, which took an 18-tonne truckload of material without paying, was caught at a checkpoint in an unroadworthy vehicle with no licence plates.’
- ‘They plan to keep unroadworthy vans at the roadside until repairs are carried out and to check drivers' hour-counting tachograph machines to make sure they are not being overworked.’
- ‘Besides the fact that the vehicle was obviously unroadworthy, the passenger was endangering himself and obstructing the view of the driver.’
- ‘Nine state vehicles used without authority were confiscated, six firearms seized and four unroadworthy vehicles were taken off the road.’
- ‘Police vehicle examiners found that the car was unroadworthy because of two massively over-inflated front tyres, but because the road was dry, the defects probably played only a small part in the accident.’
- ‘He admitted two counts of selling motor vehicles in an unroadworthy condition on October 31, when he appeared at Witham Magistrates' Court on Friday.’
- ‘Yesterday the traffic department and police confirmed that the taxi was unroadworthy and was not licensed.’
- ‘Traffic officers were checking buses for roadworthiness and ordering unroadworthy buses off the road.’
- ‘Two people were charged with corruption, obstruction to justice and bribery regarding unroadworthy vehicles and tickets for traffic offences at Umtata.’
- ‘He stressed however, that people driving stolen or unroadworthy vehicles would not be allowed on the roads.’
- ‘Forecourt inspections were carried out at garages and officers found six unroadworthy cars for sale in Keighley.’
- ‘I didn't want to mention the squealing brakes in case he booked me for driving an unroadworthy car.’
- ‘Many cars without tax or insurance often have no MOT, which in turn means the car is unroadworthy, the extension of which is they will cause accidents.’
- ‘Other infringements resulted in tickets for speeding, unlicensed vehicles and a yellow sticker for an unroadworthy car.’
- ‘They fine us when our vehicles are unroadworthy, but this is caused by the bad roads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.