One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Remove the rigging from (a ship)‘the furling drum makes unrigging a snap’
- ‘Related services to stevedoring are the activities of rigging and unrigging of ship's gear, unlashing and lashing of cargoes, and securing cargo on board.’
- ‘Mobs in Boston prevented the exportation of grain by unrigging the ship and dismantling its rudder.’
- ‘They sailed to the Island of Blanco, which is a low Island 30 leagues from the main of Spanish America, where he unrigged his Sloop.’
- 1.1dialect, archaic Undress (someone)‘I was forced to beat a retreat before I was altogether unrigged’
- ‘I was enforced to beat a retreat before I was altogether unrigged.’
- ‘She tantalizes him by apologizing, ‘I must beg your pardon; I'm in haste to unrig,’ that is ‘undress.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.