One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Withdraw (a rope) from a securing ring or block.‘jib stays can be unrove, and then rove through the lacing’
- ‘All hands were then sent aloft, and for an hour or two we were hard at work, making the booms well fast; unreeving the studding-sail and royal and skysail gear.’
- ‘This will provide additional boom length, reduce boom nose height, and can be accomplished without unreeving the main hoist load line 46.’
- ‘A second man moves the yard and boats it, unreeving and coiling the halyard in the process.’
- ‘That fellow swam off to the coaster - five hundred yards or so - with the end of a warp made up of all the running gear unrove for the purpose.’
- ‘Because the plate that is pivoted to the boom carries also the main winch, it is not necessary to unreeve the lifting ropes and the block.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.