One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Withdraw (a rope) from a securing ring or block.‘jib stays can be unrove, and then rove through the lacing’
- ‘That fellow swam off to the coaster - five hundred yards or so - with the end of a warp made up of all the running gear unrove for the purpose.’
- ‘This will provide additional boom length, reduce boom nose height, and can be accomplished without unreeving the main hoist load line 46.’
- ‘Because the plate that is pivoted to the boom carries also the main winch, it is not necessary to unreeve the lifting ropes and the block.’
- ‘A second man moves the yard and boats it, unreeving and coiling the halyard in the process.’
- ‘All hands were then sent aloft, and for an hour or two we were hard at work, making the booms well fast; unreeving the studding-sail and royal and skysail gear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.