One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a book or document) not read.
uneducated, unknowledgeable, untaught, unschooled, untutored, untrained, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, uninformed, unenlightened, unscholarly, unqualified, benighted, backwardView synonyms
- ‘And, while he was busy practicing, a gift from his father, a book about Roosevelt's New Deal, went unread.’
- ‘But to me, a cookbook unused is like an unread book in that it's not fulfilling it's potential.’
- ‘Curiosity filling his mind, he opened the new, unread book.’
- ‘Any aspiring writer should be taken to the book depository and shown the tottering stacks that will remain unread and unreviewed, and likely tossed onto the FREE table at the paper.’
- ‘I also looked in Waterstone's, not that I need any more books to read for a while; I have a pile of unread paperbacks awaiting me at home as it is.’
- ‘Yet politicians place an immense value on these bulky unread tomes.’
- ‘Naomi shouted, pushing Kazuki's bookbag filled with unfinished homework and unread textbooks back into his arms.’
- ‘I have too many piles of unread paper comics to read, and they make me feel guilty by being things that take up space on the floor in boxes.’
- ‘For adherents of some disciplines, using the resources allotted to them by academia to produce arcane, unread tomes may be fine, but this isn't doing feminism any good.’
- ‘He gazed out the window, an unread book resting on his lap.’
- ‘But at seven, eight, nine and ten, the unread book was only waiting for its turn in the pile that I would lug out the door twice a week.’
- ‘Work that would have gone unread will now be read and, along the way, books that would have gone unsold will now be bought.’
- ‘I always want to take young writers to the book room and show them the mountains of books - unread, to say nothing of unreviewed.’
- ‘The count on the machine reads 22 unread messages.’
- ‘She was on her last unread volume and it's never a good idea to let this woman run out of books.’
- ‘Plus, when you're on the road, you can use WinFax Pro to retrieve unread faxes from your office computer.’
- ‘Over the years, I've been trying to find the right readers for my unread books.’
- ‘Beside it was a winding up petition and legal documents, boxed and unread, which had been left by the Treasury department.’
- ‘Once ‘ExploreZip.E’ gets onto a PC it emails itself out as an attachment in a reply to all read and unread emails in Microsoft Outlook with the following message.’
2archaic (of a person) not well read.
- ‘The reader will feel unread, uneducated, utterly exasperated with him or herself for missing the reference entirely.’
- ‘I am not a political person, I cannot argue politics as I am unread.’
- ‘The second is that their films are about the uneducated, unread, unWesternised and rural-based poor.’
- ‘She was not as uneducated and unread as we have always been told.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.