One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a book or document) not read.
uneducated, unknowledgeable, untaught, unschooled, untutored, untrained, illiterate, unlettered, unlearned, uninformed, unenlightened, unscholarly, unqualified, benighted, backwardView synonyms
- ‘Beside it was a winding up petition and legal documents, boxed and unread, which had been left by the Treasury department.’
- ‘She was on her last unread volume and it's never a good idea to let this woman run out of books.’
- ‘Yet politicians place an immense value on these bulky unread tomes.’
- ‘But to me, a cookbook unused is like an unread book in that it's not fulfilling it's potential.’
- ‘Any aspiring writer should be taken to the book depository and shown the tottering stacks that will remain unread and unreviewed, and likely tossed onto the FREE table at the paper.’
- ‘Once ‘ExploreZip.E’ gets onto a PC it emails itself out as an attachment in a reply to all read and unread emails in Microsoft Outlook with the following message.’
- ‘I always want to take young writers to the book room and show them the mountains of books - unread, to say nothing of unreviewed.’
- ‘I have too many piles of unread paper comics to read, and they make me feel guilty by being things that take up space on the floor in boxes.’
- ‘Work that would have gone unread will now be read and, along the way, books that would have gone unsold will now be bought.’
- ‘Plus, when you're on the road, you can use WinFax Pro to retrieve unread faxes from your office computer.’
- ‘Over the years, I've been trying to find the right readers for my unread books.’
- ‘I also looked in Waterstone's, not that I need any more books to read for a while; I have a pile of unread paperbacks awaiting me at home as it is.’
- ‘Curiosity filling his mind, he opened the new, unread book.’
- ‘But at seven, eight, nine and ten, the unread book was only waiting for its turn in the pile that I would lug out the door twice a week.’
- ‘And, while he was busy practicing, a gift from his father, a book about Roosevelt's New Deal, went unread.’
- ‘For adherents of some disciplines, using the resources allotted to them by academia to produce arcane, unread tomes may be fine, but this isn't doing feminism any good.’
- ‘He gazed out the window, an unread book resting on his lap.’
- ‘Naomi shouted, pushing Kazuki's bookbag filled with unfinished homework and unread textbooks back into his arms.’
- ‘The count on the machine reads 22 unread messages.’
2archaic (of a person) not well read.
- ‘She was not as uneducated and unread as we have always been told.’
- ‘I am not a political person, I cannot argue politics as I am unread.’
- ‘The reader will feel unread, uneducated, utterly exasperated with him or herself for missing the reference entirely.’
- ‘The second is that their films are about the uneducated, unread, unWesternised and rural-based poor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.