Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not having achieved or been given a rank or ranking:‘the team have two matches against unranked opponents’
- ‘But the flip side to that is now the Spartans get to play seven unranked teams in a row.’
- ‘The Friars have authored one of the best stories of the season, going from unranked in the preseason to contending for the Big East championship.’
- ‘Women remain disproportionately represented within instructor, lecturer, and unranked positions: more than 57 percent of those holding such positions are women, according to the AAUP's annual salary survey.’
- ‘The Irish, unranked in the preseason Associated Press poll, are 5-2 with upcoming home games against Air Force and Boston College followed by season-ending trips to Rutgers and USC.’
- ‘You start off unranked in the Junior Class, and move on to Senior, and then Varsity.’
- ‘If they go undefeated again this year, they might wind up unranked.’
- ‘An erk is British slang for an unranked air force and navy person.’
- ‘Tyson's opponent was the unranked Henry Tillman.’
- ‘Currently unranked worldwide, the former Yorkshire under-18 champion was a direct entrant into the main draw which started on Wednesday.’
- ‘Like Stanford, Loyola jumped into the top - 25 after being unranked in the 2004 preseason poll.’
- ‘The four unranked books which made the shortlist shared a seriousness and scholarly rigour, but were otherwise quite dissimilar.’
- ‘The unranked Richmond Spiders beat the No. 12 Jayhawks in Kansas, snapping KU's 52-game home winning streak against unranked opponents.’
- ‘If Indiana or Ohio State is in first place in the Big Ten but unranked, are we really supposed to believe their games don't matter as much?’
- ‘Queen's was ranked number seven in the CIS, while Waterloo was unranked thanks in part to their continuing slide into mediocrity.’
- ‘If the damage to property exceeds $1, 500, the offender is guilty of an unranked class C felony (up to one year in jail and/or a $10,000 fine).’
- ‘How else could a completely unranked individual like myself teach him?’
- ‘The feature is a fitting tribute to all these ranked and unranked players.’
- ‘K-State's loss to the Aggies snapped Snyder's 60-game win streak against unranked teams.’
- ‘Instead, an unranked gymnast was selected to fill the position.’
- ‘The first week of February, supertalented Memphis was 204, unranked, and feisty.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.