One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not objecting to what someone has said or done.‘I was escorted, proud and unprotesting, to the exit’
compliant, complying, consenting, cooperative, willing, obliging, agreeable, amenable, tractable, persuadable, easily persuaded, pliant, flexible, easy, resignedView synonyms
- ‘This is done by bringing up American children in such a way that they will take their place in society as diligent workers and unprotesting consumers.’
- ‘I stretched my arms out, took Beta by the shoulder and pulled her unprotesting body close to my breast and her face up to mine.’
- ‘The president isn't afraid to take unpopular stances in which he believes: A majority of Americans opposed the war that nevertheless was coaxed down our largely unprotesting throats.’
- ‘Modest, unprotesting, a devoted church-goer and teetotaller, and a model family man, Jack Hobbs was the prototype of the loyal artisan dedicated to Crown and country.’
- ‘Clark kneels down again and scoops the small unprotesting creature up in his arms.’
- ‘But both Eva and St Clair die, and Tom is sold again, this time to a brutal cotton plantation owner, Simon Legree, who finally beats the unprotesting Tom to death just before Shelby's son arrives to redeem him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.