Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not processed.‘fresh, unprocessed food’
unprocessed, untreated, unpurified, crude, raw, natural, plain, coarse, rough, unworked, unprepared, unmilled, unfinishedView synonyms
- ‘Yet, the modern health food movement has proven unprocessed grains, including brown rice, to be healthier than their refined counterparts.’
- ‘No logs are exported but about 70% of mahogany leaves Fiji in the relatively unprocessed form of rough sawn timber.’
- ‘Home-made from good ingredients, meatballs are a relatively natural and unprocessed food.’
- ‘So food that is contaminated prior to processing can give rise to liability under the Act, once processed, whereas the same contaminated food sold to consumers unprocessed is not within the Act.’
- ‘He was once asked to write something funny about the unfairness of the differential in tariffs imposed on processed and unprocessed Tanzanian coffee.’
- ‘This method of carving is also apparent in Lazarus, as the statue has a natural, unprocessed look.’
- ‘A positive way to combat the state of our children's diets is to opt for natural, unprocessed foods.’
- ‘Diamonds and other minerals are the most important exports, followed by processed and unprocessed fish, other food products, and live animals.’
- ‘We have come a long way from fresh air, exercise, pure drinking water and unprocessed food - all natural essentials for good health.’
- ‘When using dried extracts of Chinese herbs, some of these are available in their unprocessed or processed form while others are not.’
- ‘Mix provides a continuously adjustable balance between processed and unprocessed signals.’
- ‘Natural functional foods are unprocessed whole foods that possess disease-fighting components.’
- ‘Many international counselors are accustomed to the fresh, unprocessed foods that are the norm in many countries.’
- ‘Fruit, natural yoghurt and unprocessed bread, washed down with a glass of good red wine or a dark beer is about as effective a tonic as you can get these days.’
- ‘The safest way to avoid MSG is to stick to whole, unprocessed foods - those that don't come in a can or other packaging.’
- ‘The limits of these sections can best be illustrated by examining a specific case, the US export ban on unprocessed logs from federal and state lands.’
- ‘Working out exactly what to eat to achieve the goal of total nutrition is far more complex, especially in a modern world surrounded by food that often bears little resemblance to unprocessed, natural food.’
- ‘‘Look for foods that are as unprocessed as possible,’ says nutritionist Elizabeth Somer.’
- ‘The Food for Life programme is designed to ensure schools serve unprocessed, fresh food with half of ingredients sourced locally and a third organically.’
- ‘In fact, the state undertakes to promote the development of the food industry and the rural areas, and to help producers of quality processed and unprocessed farm produce.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.