Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an event or result) unforeseen.‘the unpredicted change of weather’
unexpected, unanticipated, unforeseen, unpredictable, unpredictedView synonyms
- ‘The war against terrorism being planned in Washington and London could have a lot of unpredicted and unwelcome outcomes.’
- ‘If we can look back and say one unpredicted side-effect of television was that it created a culture of voyeurs, then future generations may cast an eye to the Internet and say it unwittingly turned us all into rude, rotten bastards.’
- ‘I did something unexpected then, so unpredicted that even I was surprised.’
- ‘We've hoped the complexity of science can explain the complexity of organizations and we've asked science for tools to stop the unpredicted events that suddenly destroy lives and futures.’
- ‘Even the simplest addition can cause unpredicted results.’
- ‘But what if the problem is caused by a natural, unpredicted event?’
- ‘Installation of the board did not result in any unpredicted occurrences, either mechanically or in terms of software.’
- ‘Exposure to mixtures of chemicals can produce unusual and unpredicted effects.’
- ‘The most common outcome of genetic engineering is unpredicted effects.’
- ‘Which may seem pretty damn obvious when you compare the recent disaster of mobile phone content and the equally unpredicted success of SMS phone text messaging, but be kind.’
- ‘In these circumstances we do our best to predict possible outcomes, then take controlled measures to slowly discover any unpredicted effects.’
- ‘When my mother saw the bamboo fragments, she had to be supported by her servant girls, Yuki and Hone, a result of the unpredicted shock.’
- ‘The only other comparable errors occurred in 1982 and 1991, years affected by unpredicted recessions.’
- ‘What would you expect to happen when an unpredicted accident or illness befalls you or her?’
- ‘It is very tough to test a theory that has no unpredicted outcomes.’
- ‘Having set the dynamic design in motion He is not now subject to unplanned or unpredicted random events.’
- ‘Testing the liquid on a small ant produced results that were… unpredicted.’
- ‘It is not washing with the public: the unpredicted consequence of Lord Hutton letting the government off scot free is that people are regarding the Blair government with even more suspicion and distrust.’
- ‘It also allows unmanned spacecraft to handle unpredicted events in real time, without waiting for ground control to tell them what to do.’
- ‘The game provided 2 out of 3 shocking goals, an unpredicted defeat and a fitting end to a superb FA Cup Campaign.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.