One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having no fuel-burning source of power for propulsion.
- ‘More progress was made in the inter-war era in the development of the autogiro, which had an unpowered overhead rotor blade driven by the airflow from a conventional tractor propeller in the nose.’
- ‘We expect that the dues would be the same for pilots regardless of whether they fly unpowered gliders, powered harnesses or both.’
- ‘The new rule allows a special light-sport aircraft owner to accept compensation for the use of the aircraft for flight training, or for towing a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle.’
- ‘Tow a glider that is a light-sport aircraft or unpowered ultralight vehicle in accordance with 91.309…’
- ‘Before the Wrights took off in the Flyer, they had gained experience with unpowered gliders, following the example of other pioneering aviators.’
- ‘The powered phase is followed by an unpowered glide from Mach 0.9 down to Mach 0.3, when the parachute system deploys.’
- ‘The power's just come back on, and after two hours of being lost in the unpowered wilderness, I quickly turn on my computer, hoping to log on.’
- ‘An unpowered glider can soar through the sky, a helicopter can hover and flit around, and a cannon can even shoot a circus performer in a parabola through the air.’
- ‘Once airborne the rear-mounted propeller pushes the craft along and the unpowered main rotor spins to give the craft lift.’
- ‘These days, more studio monitor builders are turning to powered designs, yet there are plenty of great unpowered monitors available.’
- ‘So which companies can manage both a steep ascent and an unpowered glide?’
- ‘I'd been flying unpowered hang gliders for 12 years and I didn't know if I could get on with having an engine attached to me.’
- ‘‘I was interested in developing a robust, unpowered system that was modular and could form part of a ‘toolkit’ approach to weapon configuration.’
- ‘What if there were ultralight pilots looking around for something useful to do and somehow they convinced local youngsters to tow up behind them in unpowered ultralights?’
- ‘I would postulate that many persons interested in unpowered personal flight who would otherwise have taken up hang gliding have instead pursued paragliding.’
- ‘To return to Earth after your cosmic excursion, rather than using fuel to slow down you could do what the space shuttle does: glide back to Earth unpowered, and exploit the fact that our planet has an atmosphere, a source of friction.’
- ‘Ja Rule would get on stage, begin his routine of saying words to no conceivable rhythm while somebody pushes buttons on an unpowered keyboard behind him.’
- ‘In an emergency the module is capable of an unpowered landing.’
- ‘The revolution in the air also stemmed from the availability of reliable internal combustion engines, though unpowered balloons have a much longer history.’
- ‘Cetaceans swimming with their bodies in the horizontal plane used either powered or unpowered turning gaits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.