One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not having or assigned to a specific place.
- ‘Their applications for jobs that are currently unfilled will be removed so as to not match them twice and hence put other unplaced students at a disadvantage.’
- 1.1Horse Racing Not one of the first three to finish in a race or competition.
- ‘Ruby Walsh, who partnered unplaced Miss Joppy, said: ‘The track is greasy and 16 runners is too many round here.’’
- ‘On the down side, the blackcurrant and raspberry jams and the chutney were unplaced.’
- ‘Newmarket's Hopeful Stakes tomorrow, a Listed race over six furlongs, has been selected by trainer Michael Jarvis as a suitable restarting point for Iffraaj, who has had a rest since being unplaced in the July Cup.’
- ‘The Totescoop6 costs £2 per bet - but Nicholson split his bet on the last race with his other choice being Nero's Return which came in unplaced.’
- ‘She was unsurprisingly sore immediately after her unplaced effort, but thankfully suffered no lasting damage and her recent work has convinced Easterby that she remains in tip-top form.’
- ‘Over 6,000 in prize money is on offer and all unplaced greyhounds will receive a consolation prize.’
- ‘He came back to win his next race by five lengths at Belmont Park before finishing unplaced in the Riva Ridge Breeders' Cup and Dwyer Stakes, both won by Gygistar.’
- ‘Martin Dwyer had the filly - unplaced in both her previous starts - smartly out of the stalls and she was always prominent as the 25-strong field spread right across the track before taking an overall lead.’
- ‘Peter Harris's recent winner will be partnered by George Duffield, who won one of the main races at The Curragh in Ireland yesterday on Danehurst, who was unplaced in the Nunthorpe Stakes at York last month.’
- ‘Although unplaced, the five-year-old ran well from an impossible draw at Doncaster last week and deserves another chance in this £25,000 event.’
- ‘Great Habton trainer Tim Easterby's stable-star started at 14-1 for this Group Three event - in which she was a close second to Lend A Hand 12 months ago - having been unplaced at Dubai and Newmarket hitherto this term.’
- ‘The race went less well for Pat Eddery who was suspended for two days for careless riding on the unplaced Hilton Head and also picked up a #150 fine for not riding to his draw.’
- ‘Co-op Students' Council is also looking at placement rates, especially in the math and engineering faculties, which had many unplaced students this term.’
- ‘Robert Leiper of Stamfordham was unplaced in the Gouren, but he reached the final of the 100 kg Backhold wrestling where he was beaten by the best of the Sardinians, Stipano Dipuccio.’
- ‘Three rides - one second, one third and one unplaced.’
- ‘A word or two on why I picked the unplaced candidates.’
- ‘The six-year-old, a winner in the summer, returned to the fray at Wetherby recently and ran as though in need of the race when finishing unplaced to Brandy Wine.’
- ‘The four-year-old daughter of Devil's Bag finished unplaced in a turf allowance/optional claiming race on July 21 at Belmont Park in her lone start this year.’
- ‘We've kept her to five furlongs so far this year when she was third at Chester and unplaced at Thirsk but as the season progresses, I'm sure she'll get the six.’
- ‘Champion jockey Kieren Fallon will not remember the opening Albany Stakes race fondly as he collected a one-day ban for careless riding on the unplaced Lucayan Beauty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.