One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not feeling or showing pity.‘a flat, unpitying voice’
merciless, pitiless, cruel, heartless, hard-hearted, hard, stony-hearted, stony, with a heart of stone, cold-blooded, cold-hearted, harsh, callous, severe, unmerciful, unrelenting, unsparing, unforgiving, unfeeling, uncaring, unsympathetic, uncharitable, lacking compassionView synonyms
- ‘The unpitying glares he gave as he slashed his opponents.’
- ‘It does not matter that the unpitying genetic technology of DNA testing has shown that Anna Anderson was not Anastasia but a Polish factory girl.’
- ‘Was there a heart beneath that unfeeling, unpitying character?’
- ‘The last element required for the success of the future hoax was a savage, unpitying streak which both of them had in abundance.’
- ‘Aldo Rossi was one of the twentieth century's most tender and thoughtful writers about the city, so it is a paradox that his urban work was often exceedingly tough, inhuman and unpitying.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.