One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not able to be persuaded; obstinate.‘he's absolutely unpersuadable on the subject of travel’
stubborn, headstrong, wilful, unyielding, inflexible, unbending, intransigent, intractable, obdurate, mulish, stubborn as a mule, pig-headed, bull-headed, self-willed, strong-minded, strong-willed, contrary, perverse, recalcitrant, refractory, uncooperative, unmanageable, cross-grained, stiff-necked, stiff, rigid, steely, iron-willed, uncompromising, implacable, relentless, unrelenting, immovable, unmalleable, unshakeable, inexorable, with one's feet dug in, with one's toes dug in, persistent, persevering, tenacious, pertinacious, dogged, single-minded, adamant, firm, steadfast, determinedView synonyms
- ‘Citizens who deny these beliefs are to be re-educated, or, if unpersuadable, executed.’
- ‘He is, in my estimation, entrenched in the intellectual laziness of dogma and the comforts of blinders. His is a proudly unpersuadable mind.’
- ‘Unfortunately, they seemed to be unpersuadable about our concerns.’
- ‘Even so, the Home Counties retired colonels and blue-rinse cake-bakers are proving unpersuadable.’
- ‘All the others were converted but I was to remain an implacable and unpersuadable disbeliever in mesmerism and hypnotism for close upon fifty years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.