One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not able to be persuaded; obstinate.‘he's absolutely unpersuadable on the subject of travel’
stubborn, headstrong, wilful, unyielding, inflexible, unbending, intransigent, intractable, obdurate, mulish, stubborn as a mule, pig-headed, bull-headed, self-willed, strong-minded, strong-willed, contrary, perverse, recalcitrant, refractory, uncooperative, unmanageable, cross-grained, stiff-necked, stiff, rigid, steely, iron-willed, uncompromising, implacable, relentless, unrelenting, immovable, unmalleable, unshakeable, inexorable, with one's feet dug in, with one's toes dug in, persistent, persevering, tenacious, pertinacious, dogged, single-minded, adamant, firm, steadfast, determinedView synonyms
- ‘All the others were converted but I was to remain an implacable and unpersuadable disbeliever in mesmerism and hypnotism for close upon fifty years.’
- ‘Citizens who deny these beliefs are to be re-educated, or, if unpersuadable, executed.’
- ‘Even so, the Home Counties retired colonels and blue-rinse cake-bakers are proving unpersuadable.’
- ‘Unfortunately, they seemed to be unpersuadable about our concerns.’
- ‘He is, in my estimation, entrenched in the intellectual laziness of dogma and the comforts of blinders. His is a proudly unpersuadable mind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.