Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[with object] Unfasten by the removal of pegs.‘she hastily unpegged her washing’
- ‘This type of loom has two advantages over more sophisticated types: applying the warp is a simple matter of winding yarn back and forth from front to back; and the nomads can unpeg the loom, bundle it up and move it with their camp - regardless of what stage the weaving on it may have reached.’
- ‘You speedily unpeg three pairs of boxers on one go and lift them off the line.’
- ‘Unpeg the arms from the "cockpit" area, fold the wings on top of the jet, fold down the jet nose (it's spring loaded) under the "cockpit" and unpeg the legs (they're pegged just like on the voyager version).’
- ‘Unpeg each item and fold it carefully before putting it into your basket.’
- ‘I'd unpeg some jeans, a couple of socks, pluck off some undies, then shuffle back inside.’
2Cease to maintain a fixed relationship between (a currency) and another currency.‘the Israel pound was unpegged from its rate of 10 to the dollar’
- ‘Chen also criticized the US for asking China to unpeg its currency from the greenback.’
- ‘In July 1997, shortly after the Thai baht was unpegged from the US dollar, Indonesia saw its stock market drop by 50 per cent.’
- ‘A month into the corralito, the government unpegged the Argentine peso from the dollar, sending the peso into a downward spiral.’
- ‘Fons Tuinstra economy - They unpegged the thing’
- ‘China today unpegged its currency from the yuan - from the dollar.’
- ‘However, the exchange rate cannot be unpegged or adjusted because of Beijing's fears about Hong Kong's stability and the effect on the Chinese yuan.’
- ‘In fact, when Canada unpegged its exchange rate with the United States in the early 1970s, the explicit policy reason for doing so was to allow the Canadian dollar to appreciate, and reduce pressure from rising U.S. inflation.’
- ‘Moscow's decision to go it alone on the international oil market, unpegging its production quotas, was a slap in the face for the Arab-dominated OPEC cartel and a welcome sign to an oil-hungry Western market.’
- ‘The fact that they unpegged the yuan is an indication that China is trying to kiss and make up with America after all of those big, scary bids on America's companies.’
- ‘The dollar is therefore likely to decline in relation to the euro, sterling and other unpegged currencies, no matter who occupies the White House.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.