Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Lacking originality; derivative:‘an uninteresting and unoriginal essay’
tedious, dull, monotonousView synonyms
- ‘Awful because it's such a lame and unoriginal hack job full of tired ideas dressed up with pretty lighting.’
- ‘I didn't enjoy the format and found the thing tired and unoriginal.’
- ‘However, a Workers Online search of industrial insults painted the manager's effort as both unoriginal and lame.’
- ‘Insofar as the European constitution mentions the free market, it is simply banal and unoriginal.’
- ‘With plain, unoriginal style, it depicted the front side of a manor.’
- ‘Look, you guys can say all you like that this was unoriginal or derivative, but I've seen the films he's ripping off and you know what?’
- ‘It's stale, unoriginal, formulaic, repetitive, and shows as much originality and passion as a tribute band.’
- ‘My initial snap judgment was that it was unoriginal and rather boring, but as I got to know it and the performers better, I found it infinitely touching.’
- ‘The opinions expressed by callers are consistently unoriginal and dull.’
- ‘Sometimes sharp writing and tremendous actor chemistry can revitalize unoriginal and boring material.’
- ‘Instead, I saw my memories as they were viewed by millions every week: corny, unoriginal, and uninteresting.’
- ‘Guilty of being vastly unoriginal, insipid, boring, and just downright horrible!’
- ‘In short there's little to recommend this tired and unoriginal movie, and very little in it that hasn't been endlessly recycled before.’
- ‘The tale itself is distinctly unoriginal - almost originally so.’
- ‘It seems that uni, and me in particular, tends to attract these enthusiastic, unoriginal dull types.’
- ‘I always hate unoriginal and uninspired titles, but apparently I also specialise in them.’
- ‘A victim of its own success, and the influence it had on subsequent films, its conceits seem stale and unoriginal today.’
- ‘This essay manages to be dull, unoriginal and strange all at the same time.’
- ‘Suddenly, my comfortable city life seemed boring and unoriginal.’
- ‘It's all bland, unoriginal pap that will only appeal to the nostalgia-seekers of the original BSB generation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.