Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not modified.‘the unmodified Fender has a clean, sharp response’
downright, utter, outright, out-and-out, absolute, complete, sheer, stark, thorough, thoroughgoing, categorical, unequivocal, undeniable, unqualified, unmodified, unrestricted, unmitigated, unconditional, positive, simple, wholesale, all-out, perfect, consummate, patent, pure, total, entire, flat, direct, dead, final, conclusiveView synonyms
- ‘Bioethanol has a higher octane rating than unleaded so unmodified petrol cars can run on a mix of only up to about 15% bioethanol.’
- ‘The company returned to the unmodified version, seeming to forget why they had dropped it.’
- ‘Baxter rode solo on an unmodified, high-performance Kawasaki Ninja ZX - 12R for the St Dunstan's Blind Ambition Campaign.’
- ‘The driver of the banger, an MOT failure which had a normal unmodified engine, has not been named.’
- ‘Obviously, many exhibitions - perhaps the majority nowadays - are seen in essentially unmodified form in more than one place, but these were all genuinely different shows.’
- ‘When put on a high-fat, high-calorie diet for 13 weeks, the transgenic mice gained only a third of the weight that their unmodified brethren did.’
- ‘What can you do with a machine that puts letters and numbers on an ordinary unmodified TV set?’
- ‘My understanding, from farming sources, is that growing genetically modified crops does not cost all that much less than growing unmodified crops.’
- ‘Since unmodified Ebola enters through, and attacks, the lungs, defective lung cells could benefit most from therapy based on this discovery.’
- ‘As such, if the Commission disregards the restart request, Parliament can simply vote the unmodified directive out of existence.’
- ‘The tests which Mr. Andersson envisaged were thus tests to determine how the Yacht in unmodified condition would perform, not tests designed to evaluate any particular remedial solution.’
- ‘These fall into four broad categories of artifacts: ceramics, lithics, modified fauna, and unmodified fauna.’
- ‘The U.S. Food and Drug Administration considers genetically modified foods equivalent to unmodified foods.’
- ‘These can be used in unmodified diesel and petrol engines respectively when blended with conventional diesel and petrol.’
- ‘The drill was to set up 10 identical S & W Model 64 revolvers, all completely unmodified.’
- ‘These enzymes excise mismatched or modified bases out of the sugar-phosphate backbone and replace them with complementary, unmodified nucleotides.’
- ‘The biologically-modified sons and daughters of the wealthy may become a distinct species from the unmodified.’
- ‘As long as the laboratory is performing only unmodified moderately complex tests, this is the extent of the quality control requirements.’
- ‘This could spell trouble when a GMO cross-pollinates with the unmodified crop of a small-holder farmer and his crop becomes contaminated by patented genes.’
- ‘And these books describe the Indian philosophy in entirely unmodified form.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.